Sunday, August 30, 2009

White Lasagna

For some reason the idea of a white lasagna came to my mind one day, and I decided to make it. I'm not sure if it's my blood type diet which says that I'm supposed to avoid tomatoes or my recent desires to try making creative dinners that sparked my interest in this lasagna, but I think it turned out pretty good. I've never even eaten a white lasagna before let alone made one, but I definitely enjoyed both making and eating this one.


Disclaimer: When cooking, I don't really follow any recipes, so the measurements used here are all approximated.

Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 6 tablespoons flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 cup water
  • seasoned salt (or just plain salt is fine)
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup chopped spinach
  • 1 egg
  • 15 oz ricotta cheese
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbsp basil
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 zucchini
  • 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 pound mixed Italian cheese
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 package lasagna noodles (9 or 12 noodles)

Directions:

  1. Make a roux with the butter and flour. Here's how: Melt the butter over a medium heat. Add the flour. Stir over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
  2. Slowly add the milk and water. Stir constantly with whisk until thick (this may take awhile).
    • Note: I never precook my lasagna noodles, so I add water to the sauce which will cook the noodles while the lasagna cooks in the oven.
  3. Add salt to taste. Add green onions and spinach to white sauce.
  4. In a small bowl, mix the egg, ricotta cheese (I didn't use the whole container.), 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic, and basil
    • Note: I usually make a 4 layer lasagna with 12 noodles, but for some reason, the box I bought came with 10 1/2 noodles, so I just made a 3-layer lasagna this time. This recipe will explain the 3-layer version.
  5. In a 13x9 pan, pour a little bit of the white sauce mixture to coat the bottom of the pan. Place 3 noodles on the bottom. Spread half of the ricotta mixture onto the 3 noodles.
  6. Slice the zucchini into thin slices. Place one layer of zucchini in the pan. Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese over the zucchini. Top with a small layer of the sauce.
    • Note: Be careful not to use too much sauce. You want to make sure you have plenty of sauce for the top layer! If you think you won't have enough sauce consider thinning the sauce with a little bit of water.
  7. Make another noodle-ricotta mixture-zucchini(use the rest)-mozzarella cheese-white sauce layer.
  8. Place the last three noodles on top and cover with the last of the white sauce. Top with 1/4 pound of the mixed Italian cheese mixture (you can substitute this with mozzarella if you prefer) and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
  9. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until the cheese on top is slightly golden.
  10. Enjoy!
Side note:
  • I recommend trying more vegetables: broccoli, bell peppers, artichoke hearts, whatever sounds good to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment