Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pseudo Guest Post: Cutouts from Childhood

My sister posted this on her blog around Easter and I liked it... so I'm posting it here... along with the recipe
Childhood memories work in such funny ways.

We went to Grandma and Grandpa Taylors house for Easter dinner. Grandma had made red finger jello for one of the dishes. Aunt Kellee was cutting easter shapes into it with cookie cutters. I saw the bunny cookie cutter. I had completely forgotten it even existed.

All these memories came back to me of those red cookie cutters. I remembered the turkey cutter quite clearly and think about it every thanksgiving when I make cookies. But I can't believe that I had forgotten about the cake and the bunny and that great flag cutter. Sugar cookies were one of the first things I learned how to make. My mom makes the best cookies and instead of frosting them we actually sugar them with colored jello so you can see the designs from the cutter on the cookie. They are so delicious.

Anyway, I got such a kick out of seeing these cookie cutters that I tried to make mom promise to leave them to me. But she wasn't committing. I'm a girl that takes matters into my own hands so I bought my own set on e-bay. Gotta love e-bay. They were easy to find as they were made by Tupperware. 

So watch for some cool flag cookies to be coming your way in July.


Sugar Cookie Recipe:
1/2 C shortening (butter)
1 C sugar
1 egg
3 C flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C milk

Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg. Mix well. Add dry ingredients alternately with liquid. Chill 1 hour. Roll out on floured board. Cut into shapes. Place on greased cookie sheet. (Here's where you would sprinkle on the colored jello if so desired) Bake at 350' until light brown (8-10 min). 

No comments:

Post a Comment