Monday, October 12, 2009

Foodie Favorites: Mashed Seasoned Cauliflower

I adore Jim's Famous BBQ in Chapel Hill. No one in the area has better ribs. Since I tracked them down when I first moved here; whenever I am in the mood for baby-back or St. Louis (pronounced Louie) cut ribs, succulent sides, and mouth-watering cobbler; I will make a few calls then make my (or our) way to Jim's. I have had everything from dry rub to Sweet and Saucy (just like me), and it is all fall-off-the-bone tender and smokey-barbecue goodness. Yum!

That being said, their best feature has always been their mashed seasoned cauliflower. Sadly, it has recently been a casualty of the recession. As my heart broke thinking of this lost treasure, I decided I had to send an email begging for the recipe.

I was blessed with the restaurant quantity recipe below. I am pretty sure I'll have to experiment to make sure a smaller portioned recipe works well, but I cannot wait!

Jim's Famous BBQ's to-die-for Mashed Seasoned Cauliflower
Ingredients
-5 Pounds of Cauliflower
-3 Tablespoons of Liquid Butter
-1 Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
-1 Teaspoon of Salt
-3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Broth
-Choice of Cheese (Optional)

Instruction
-Bring water to a boil.
-Rough chop the cauliflower.
-Put in the pot basket.
-Place basket in boiling water.
-Boil for 12 to 15 minutes (Or until it is soft).
-Remove from pot and place in hotel pan.
-Mash and add the remaining ingredients.
-Transfer to sheet pan and let cool.

Add a little cheddar on the top, and you have a beautifully luscious, but seemingly simple side for any meal--an easy non-carb substitute for mashed potatoes. My mouth is watering just thinking of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment