Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Carrboro Farmer's Market or CFM (that's for you, B.)

Last fall I read Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, and I will never be the same. I'm obsessed with it. I may even succumb to stalking Barbara Kingsolver--it's that great.

Read it.


After I read this book I decided I wanted to do what I could to support local farmers and produce. Because we all know that I have ample time at work, I started googling Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). A CSA lets you purchase in advance a share of the farm's produce, eggs, meat, etc. And then every week you pick up your box filled with whatever is in season. I decided to buy a share from one of the local farms that is at the Carrboro Farmer's Market. Lots of the farmers there offer CSAs, and you can read all about them via the links provided on this website. The CSA I chose was only $106 for 13 weeks and last Saturday was my first pick-up. I scored a pound of mild country sausage, a bag of mixed greens, and bunch of green garlic.

Awesome.

Can't wait to go again this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment