Sunday, March 15, 2009

Don't be Dull

Last week I acquired a physical attribute that I didn't necessarily want to obtain... a nice slice on my index finger! Ouch! I'll show you what I was trying to create in a later post... but before I do let's go over some basic Knife Safety!!

1. Use the right kind of knife for the job. Don't know what knife to use? Check this link out.... it should help.
2. Regardless of what you see Iron Chefs do, it's good practice to cut away from you. (Even when you're sharpening said knife)
3. Sharper is safer. It takes less energy to cut with a sharp knife and it is less likely to stick. The natural instinct when a knife sticks is to apply more force... but that's when slips occur and you get cut. Trust me. I know.
4. Use a cutting board. The old veggie bag, the counter, sink, and/or stove top are not good cutting surfaces.
5. Keep it clean. Make sure to wash and store your knives properly. Knives are like small children... don't leave them unattended.
6. Don't try to catch a falling knife. Unless you're this kid... cause he has some mad skills. 

1 comment: