Sunday, March 15, 2009

FHE Fun with the Sisters Ru

It is no secret that B and I have our own little FHE. Being that we are sisters, family home evening is quite easy for us, and every so often some of our transient family here joins us (we're a drop-in household, so often we'll have a few friends join our family). This past week, FHE was especially enjoyable. I had extra cream puffs left over from the Family History Dessert Night last Sunday, and all I needed was something to fill it for dinner/FHE.

Rather than have dinner ready when B got home, we made dinner together. One of our family friends makes a killer chicken salad that she brings over whenever we go home (to IL), and we set about trying to recreate it. Looking through various recipes, only one seemed easy and kind of close. Okay, we didn't quite get to Sandy's level, but it was pretty good nonetheless (Julianne also makes a mean chicken salad). I even ended up making more cream puffs so we could take it for lunches this past week. I knew we had done all right when B said, "Oh yeah" after her initial taste.

Quick and easy chicken salad:

  • 2 c. shredded chicken (you can easily bake 1-2 chicken breasts and shred it or just buy canned chicken)
  • 1 c. chopped celery (I'm not a huge celery fan, but I chopped it pretty fine; and it was perfect!)
  • 1 c. halved grapes
  • 1/4 c. toasted almonds (I didn't toast them due to the fact that I was cooking more cream puffs, and it still tasted fantastic)
  • 1/2-3/4 c. mayo (depending on how dry you like it)
  • salt & pepper to taste

    Mix everything except the mayo, salt, and pepper, then add those last three ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment