Monday, March 9, 2009

I dare you to eat it

We've been counseled for a very, very long time to "prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings" (Church pamphlet, All is Safely Gathered In). But as members of a YSA ward, most of us being in rather temporary housing situations, it has sometimes felt like a stretch to have a week's supply of food, let alone a year's supply. But the leadership of the church has also encouraged us "to store as much as circumstances allow."

I found a great website this week that has, for the first time in my life, helped me realize not only that my circumstances really do allow me to store a year's supply of food (it really doesn't take up that much space), but also that I can use that food to eat on a daily basis. The website is http://www.idareyoutoeatit.com/. Once there, go to the "strategies" section to understand how easy it really is to have a year's supply and eat it too. I have a copy of the author's book, so if anyone wants to learn more or see more of her recipes, just let me know.

I tried two of the recipes this week, and loved them. I even fed tacos covertly laced with wheat to the elders, and they had no idea until I spilled the beans. Here's the recipe for Hippie Tacos, as found on http://www.idareyoutoeatit.com/. They were delish.

HIPPIE TACOS

Fresh Ingredients

1 lb. ground beef
15 10″ tortillas

toppings: baby spinach leaves, grated cheese, diced tomato, avocado, cilantro, and Ranch dressing

Storage Ingredients

2 c. cooked whole wheat berries
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. chili powder

* 1 packet of taco seasoning may be used as a substitution for individual spices

Brown ground beef and drain fat. Stir in the cooked wheat berries and spices. Spoon meat mixture onto warm tortillas and top with fresh baby spinach, grated cheese, diced tomato, avocado, cilantro, and Ranch dressing.

Good luck food storaging!

No comments:

Post a Comment